5 Top Incredibly Nutritious and Easy to Make Microgreens Recipes
Great minds and bodies are made in the kitchen. In other words, our social behavior and thinking is shaped by whatever we consume from our environment.
Earlier, the incidence of degenerative or lifestyle diseases like cancer, diabetes, cholesterol etc. was lesser compared to their growing incidence now. Balanced and nutritious diet three times in a day in those days ensured that people received the right amount of nutrition.
Modern times have brought in industrial and technological revolution but alongside it has also jacked up work pressures and stress. The lack of time and inaccessibility to fresh produce has increased the prevalence of processed foods and supply of fruits and vegetables that have to go through a long supply chain of cold storage and warehouses to reach the markets.
To fulfill the body’s needs for necessary nutrients, proteins and calcium, health conscious people resorted to consumption of Omega 3 supplements, vitamins and minerals supplements and other such tonics and tablets.
Eventually, the lack of fresh food products coupled with steady consumption of chemically-processed or pesticides-treated food products or supplements takes its toll on the body. We end up with adverse side-effects and lifestyle diseases.
When Nature and its bountiful products are there to ensure healthy, sustainable, all-around nutrition, then why opt for processed products? Vitamins, minerals, oxygen and other elements which you require daily are all present in organically grown microgreens. This is the reason more and more people now prefer microgreens to improve their health and have started using them in their smoothies, piling them on sandwiches, mixing them into salads, and even growing them at home.
Microgreens are tiny edible immature seeds that are incredibly nutritious and truly beautiful to look at. You can easily find fresh microgreens online on a variety of stores. Once you’ll find the delicious microgreens, you might wonder what to do with them. We present top 5 recipes of microgreens. These are easy and quick to make and you can enjoy their nutritious punch and delicate flavor right away!
1. Spring Is Almost Here Salad:
(Serves 1 to 2 people)
Ingredients for Salad:
- 1 cup or more of microgreens of your choice
- 1 blood orange cut into small pieces
- 1/2 avocado cubed
- 1/2 cup of julienned daikon radish
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 1 Tbsp. cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove chopped garlic (optional)
- A dash of salt and pepper
Toss all the salad ingredients together. Shake the dressing ingredients in a lidded jar. Dress, toss, and serve! (Great with a soft-boiled egg)
2. Vegan Clean Bean Bowl:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- warm water
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup plain almond milk
- 2 limes
- 1 heaping cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado
- cayenne pepper
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup pea shoots or micro greens
- salt and pepper
- tortilla chips (optional)
- Begin making the cashew cream by soaking the cashews in warm water for 1-2 hours.
- After soaking, drain the cashew water. Add cashews, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, almond milk, juice of 1 lime, and salt/pepper (to taste) to a food processor. Process on high for 3-4 minutes or until a cream has formed from the cashew mixture. Add more almond milk if necessary.
- Add the quartered cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, and chopped cilantro to a bowl. Season with salt, to taste, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Halve the avocado and scoop the flesh into a small bowl. Add the juice of the other lime and smash with a fork. Season with salt and a dash of cayenne pepper.
- In a small saucepan, heat the black beans, chili powder, cumin, and paprika over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes or until warm.
3. 5 Minute Pea Pesto:
- 1 cup peas
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups pea shoots
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place peas, garlic, salt, pepper, pea shoots, and lemon juice into a food processor. Pulse a few times until everything is coarsely chopped.
- While the food processor is running, slowly stream in olive oil and blend until everything is incorporated into a smooth pesto. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a spatula and pulse once more to incorporate.
- Serve immediately or store pesto in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. This pesto also freezes beautifully if you want to keep it longer!
4. Microgreens Salad with Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1 pck microgreens
- 6 radishes, halved or sliced
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- Place the microgreens and radishes into a serving bowl and reserve in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- At the last moment before serving, dress the salad lightly with dressing, sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Enjoy!
5. Strawberry MicroGreen Salad:
- 3 cups Microgreens
- 1 cup Strawberry, sliced
- ¼ cup candied walnuts, chopped
Ingredients for Strawberry Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- dash of sea salt
- dash of black pepper
Blend; strawberries, balsamic vinegar, raw honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Toss the microgreens with strawberries and dressing. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Hope you liked the easy and healthy recipes. Start preparing one, enjoy the nutritious delicate flavor of microgreens, and stay healthy.